|Year : 2017 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 128-129
Valedictory report of the immediate past chairman of the faculty of pathology
Kenneth Chukwuemeka Iregbu
Faculty of Pathology, National Postgraduate Medical College of , Lagos, Nigeria
|Date of Web Publication||21-Feb-2018|
Dr. Kenneth Chukwuemeka Iregbu
Faculty of Pathology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, Lagos
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Iregbu KC. Valedictory report of the immediate past chairman of the faculty of pathology. Ann Trop Pathol 2017;8:128-9
Once again I extend my heartfelt seasons' greetings to all Fellows and Associate Fellows of our great Faculty. We have come a long way as a faculty, and we have every reason to rejoice and to thank God for leading us on the path of growth and development. My prayer is that we shall continue to make progress until the faculty becomes the best in the college and among the best in the world.
As I get ready to vacate the Chairman's seat in a couple of days from now, it is expedient that I use this opportunity to thank you for the great opportunity to serve the faculty. From January 1, 2014, when I assumed office with other members of the Faculty Board to this day, the work of the Faculty was given due attention and executed with the greatest zeal with the intention of getting the best results. Notwithstanding, there is still more work to be done, and I call on all Fellows and Associate Fellows to give maximum support and cooperation to the incoming Faculty Chairman, Dr. Feyeofori Abbyiyesuku, to enable him further advance the course of the faculty.
Some of our activities in the past 4 years are highlighted below:
- Reaccreditation of all training centers whose accreditation had lapsed, except where the center had issues
- Uthman Danfodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, was brought on board as an accredited training center
- Sponsored some young Fellows to some local CME programs
- Supported some Fellows to participate in Annual Scientific Congress and All Fellows (ASCAF) meetings of the college
- Sustained the conduct of adverse event-free Fellowship examinations. We also sustained the use of experienced examiners in the conduct of the examination to improve on the integrity and quality of the examinations
- Introduced the observership program for would be examiners; intending examiners apply to be observers at their own expense and at least two examinations. Following a satisfactory observership report, all other conditions set by college or faculty would have to be met before invitation. Such invitations are at the discretion of the Faculty and mot mandatory
- Three examiners were allowed by Senate for each specialty to come in a day earlier than others to assist the host examiners prepare for the examinations
- Sustained and improved the conduct of the annual update program
- Commenced the revision and updating of the curricula of the Faculty's Fellowship Programs
- Resolved the issue of insufficiency of bodies for autopsy examinations by getting the Senate to approve Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja as the main center for autopsy examinations. We took advantage of the provisions of the Lagos State Corona Act to do this
- Piloted the introduction of real-time practical examinations in medical microbiology. The outcome and lessons learned will need to be documented and extend to other specialties as necessary
- In collaboration with the sister, Faculty in the West African College of Physicians commenced the development of subspecialty curricula for programs in the faculty
- Secured the approval of the College Senate for a post-fellowship program in Forensic Pathology
- Appointed a new Editor-in-Chief, Prof Saad Ahmed, for the Faculty's Journal, The Annals of Tropical Pathology. The usual scarcity of the Journal has been put to an end as copies are now readily available both online and print. Similarly, the journal now attracts adverts to support its financing. The climax of the re-invigoration program of the journal was the transfer of its publication to Medknow/Wolters for global visibility and online review processes. It is expected that Volume 8 Issue 1 would be published by the new publisher. Let us support the growth of the journal by submitting our quality research works to it
- Secured a Memorandum of Understanding with the Royal College of Pathologists of the UK for collaboration in areas of education/training, practice, quality management, training in forensic pathology, antimicrobial resistance surveillance, etc.
- Improved on the duration of proposals assessment, although more improvement is still needed to deal with delays by a few assessors
- Took action to firmly establish the rotational principle of the office of the Faculty Chairman. The next Chairman after Dr. Abbiyesuku shall be from Anatomic Pathology and thereafter shall be the turn of Hematology and so on in that order. This was earlier agreed by the All fellows meeting and endorsed/ratified by the Faculty Board
- Got the College Senate to increase the number of members of the faculty's accreditation team from five to eight to reduce the stress of the exercise and ensure greater objectivity. Members of the court of examiners were also increased from four to eight
- The Faculty Chairman was the Local Organizing Chairman of the 2015 ASCAF Meeting of the College
- The faculty's annual all fellows' meeting has successfully been moved from Lagos to any city hosting the College's ASCAF, to hold during or just before the ASCAF. The maiden edition took place in Kano, whereas the 2018 edition will hold in Owerri, Imo State in August.
A few other activities are left out here for strategic reasons. We would not have been able to do much without the support of fellows throughout our 4 years in office. On the other hand, we could not solve all the challenges of the faculty or meet the expectations and aspirations of all. Resources and opportunities were limited and had to be rationalized based on carefully determined priorities. The Faculty belongs to all of us; no one should, therefore, feel despaired for any reason. We should all endeavor to participate in all faculty's and college's activities. We must be willing to render selfless services whenever we are called upon to serve. I salute the wisdom of our elders and pioneers of the college and the faculty. This is the only college we can call our own; let us build it together. While wishing my successor God's abundant wisdom and successful tenure I pray that we all have a very exciting and fulfilling 2018.
Thank you and God bless you.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.